Mt. Pisgah MBc
Founded in 1926, during the Great Migration, Mt. Pisgah Missionary Baptist Church hosted
their first meetings in the basement of 467 East Bowen Avenue (demolished). By 1962, the congregation had outgrown their previous space and acquired the former Sinai Temple and social settlement house. Over the previous thirty-six years, the church had expanded their religious training and community engagement programming. The new space housed additional programming including the Baptist Theological and Education Center, the Baptist Training Union, and a number of other religious activities. On October 29, 1962, the 3000-member congregation, led by Reverend Joseph Wells and the Sunday School Band of Ebenezer Baptist Church, marched from their space on Bowen Avenue to their new home on Grand Boulevard The morning service was led by Dr. Herbert Brewster and featured performances by famed Gospel singers Roberta Martin and Dolores Barrett Campbell. The evening service was conducted by Reverend Ernest F. Ledbetter, of Metropolitan Baptist Church, grandfather to the current reverend of Mt. Pisgah Missionary Baptist Church, Reverend Ernest Ledbetter III.